Friday, March 4, 2011

{Open} House & First Tutorial!!

Welcome to {Our} House and our new adventure! I thought we'd celebrate our {Open} House by sharing our very first tutorial, 

Bathroom Subway Art
 Subway art is all the rage in Blogland lately. It's fun, easy on the eye, and easy to create. Perfect for me!


Yesterday, I posted about my color mishap bathroom revamp. There is a large space above "the throne" where I'd previously hung some of the kid's artwork, but I decided it needed some vinyl love.

I've had this scrap piece of oak sitting in my office for a while, and it turned out to be the perfect size!


It's a little dinged up and more than a little warped, but that wasn't a problem for this project. Sometimes you need that not-so-perfect element in a room, ya know?
After giving it a minimal white wash and letting it dry, I applied the lime green part of my WordDiva design. New to vinyl application? Check out a How To Video here.



I first aligned my design, double checking my placement by measuring in from the edge of each side to the edge of the design. This doesn't work for all designs, but this particular design was evenly spaced all around. 


For the next step, I taped one edge of the design to the board. Then using the hinge method, I removed the backing from the vinyl, then laid the design back down onto the board and burnished it carefully. *Newbie Mistake Alert* I forgot to take a pic of this step, but it is detailed in the video here.

Once the vinyl is properly burnished, I was able to peel off the application tape carefully, ensuring that I was laying the tape back onto itself, NOT lifting it off.


I then repeated that whole process with the ice blue bubble design.

Once all the vinyl was applied, I added a picture hanging tool to the back of the wood and hung my art proudly! Want to see it again?



I love it! A cute reminder to my kiddos about their bathroom rules. 

Want one for yourself? It's available for purchase on our website, and we can customize it to your dimensions, colors and phrases

Oh yeah, this beauty will be there, too:



We hope you enjoyed your visit! Come back often, no need to call ahead. ;)






We love a great party! So we're linking up to these Link Parties:


Debbiedoos Newbie Party



Keeping It Simple

linkpartyPhotobucket


craft UndertheTableandDreaminggiveaways

10 comments:

  1. What a cute idea. I love the bubbles. I'm your newest follower. I would love it if you linked your project up to my link party on Monday.
    More The Merrier Monday.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jamie!! I'm heading over there right now. You've made my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the "note" on the lid of the toilet!! Geesh, my kiddos need this!! Both of the signs!! LOL!!
    I'm a follower!!
    ~Terry
    http://mossandclover.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Terry! You certainly have your hands full with all of your blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Came over from debbiedoos. Love the subway art. I've been sharing a bathroom with my 4 boys during our master bath remodel. Most reminders are about putting the seat down... mine need a reminder to lift it in the first place :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out great! I love all of the color in the bathroom. Just came across your blog and I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!!!! Too cute!!!

    http://lanis-hammertime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neato! Thanks for joining my newbie party. Please follow my guidelines, add my link and hope you become a new friend of mine as well. I have this party weekly and you can make a lot of new friends this way. Thanks so much.
    Debbiedoos blogging and blabbing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone!

    Debbie ~ Thanks for the Newbie Party! I didn't see a code for your button, but I'd love to add it! Maybe a link to your cute site? And we are definitely followers! (As WordDiva Designs)

    ReplyDelete